Skip to main content

Art is You


The universe took its time on you
crafted you to offer the world
something different from everyone else
when you doubt
how you were created
you doubt an energy greater than us both
- irreplaceable, Rupi Kaur

Ya know I used to be ashamed of the things I've been through and never really found it necessary to share the stories I'm sharing now to avoid the humiliation of someone judging me on something they don't have the full story on. I would avoid bringing up things of the past because I didn't need the pity and every time I did I was only reminded of the stupid shit I've been through. But the more I've been blogging and really journaling out my thoughts and fears that stem from some of these things, I realize how silly I was to feel ashamed of the things that have made me the person I am today. The life I was given is nothing short of an artistic masterpiece finally finding a way to showcase itself in the right light.

Side-note: I have this friend back in Labelle who knew my entire situation growing up and never once questioned me about it. At a really early age she kind of just accepted that everyone was going through their own shit in their own lives and that it was unnecessary to question anything I didn't want to openly talk to her about. Which was cool and I'm pretty sure that's why were still close friends today. She just always accepted me without a full story and had my back if I ever did need support. So shoutout to her for letting my paint stir as I figured things out on my own.

I like to think I was the "good," child. But I guess that really depends on what you define good or bad. I mean I was an A++ student, never a trouble maker, well-liked, heavily involved with extracurriculars, and a very well behaved teenager. On paper, I probably seemed like the ideal teen every parent wished they had. In reality though, I was a lost and self destructive young girl who hid her insecurities and problems really well. Though everything seemed well with me to the public, very few people knew what was going on in my head during these early adolescent years. I grew up with my grandparents, but I've always felt like a burden and would never trouble my grandparents with the things going on in my mind. I honestly don't know how much would've changed for me had they known because there were so much other things going on in my family that my problems probably seemed small at the time. It was around the 7th and 8th grade that I started losing control of my thoughts and started my teenage angst bs. And the summer before I got into high school is when I was really on my bs. Gma if you are reading this... this is as far as you should read as I am about to break your heart a little when you read some of the things I was going through in the time you had me. 

In about the 7th grade when I was about twelve my friends started gossiping about the things they were doing and how they were doing it. Now at twelve I was not quite ready to lose myself but this is when I really started hurting and started looking for outlets to cure the pain. I began self harming, sneaking out and eventually at thirteen smoking weed, drinking alcohol and losing my innocence. I had no excuse for the things I was doing really. All I can say is that there was a lot going on in my head at the time and thats when the sleepless nights began that caused me to really lose my shit. I'd also like to add that the people I had around me were already talking about sex, drugs, and alcohol which I could imagine influenced young Jaz. But either way not cool. Not cool for a thirteen year old girl to have enough time and curiosity to hurt herself to try and feel something. Not cool for a thirteen year old to be sneaking out and smoking weed. But ya know... it happens. I'd like to point out that I wouldn't always sneak out to do bad things, sometimes I would do it just to wander and sometimes just to cry. But still. Not the type of thing a parent would like to hear their thirteen year old is doing. Nonetheless, that's not the point of this post.

The point of this is to say that although I've been through some things, I've done some things I'm not proud of and I've seen a lot... all of these things have made me who I am. All of this stuff was simply a way to bring me closer to the person I'm meant to be and the person I am today. I don't tell people about how my family life was a mess, how I self harmed, or how I was able to sneak out and do shit I wasn't supposed to all at a young age because I was ashamed of these things. I've been afraid of what people might think or how they might look at me after they knew some of my story (as I imagine most people who choose to hide themselves from the world are). But I've been posting all this stuff on my social media about acceptance, true self and storytelling and I figured it were only appropriate for me to give y'all some truth.

The truth is everyone is going through something, has gone through something or will go through something that will drastically change the way they view the world. And that's okay. Thats just the way life works. The universe constantly throws theses circumstances at us in order for us to shape and evolve us into the person we are meant to become. And whether we realize it or not we are all art the cosmos are creating and it is beautiful. So don't feel afraid or ashamed to speak your truth and accept the things that make you who you are. I am art and art is you.

Peace and Love,
Jaz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Momma

So this topic was one I've wanted to write about since I started this blog but haven't had the guts to write it out knowing I would exploit the live of someone without them knowing first. I feel like she won't mind if she actually read it and saw I was using her as an example for something positive that has help me grow spiritually and has consequently made me a better person.  "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Mahatma Gandhi This post will be about my mother. For those of you who don't know who she is specifically, sorry I'm going to leave her name out of this because I don't feel as though that is important. So here's the basic summary of the life of my mother through the lens of her eldest daughter. My mom got pregnant at the age of sixteen and had me at the age of seventeen while she was still in high school. Though I was too young to remember how her life was when she was a young mother

Depression and Drugs

"Once you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." -Willie Nelson Have you ever felt like your life was on repeat? The same boring shit keeps happening and it just feels like you aren't really progressing? Well if you've ever stopped for even a second and thought about this, thats the first step in fixing the problem.. Acknowledging you have a one. Now I'm about to get real dark for a minute and tell you about my depression and what I did when I realized I had a problem. So back when I first started attending UF is when I noticed something was not right. I was so focused on getting everything I needed to get done for school that I didn't take a moment to think about how I was actually feeling about my life. I started noticing something was wrong with myself when crying every night would become a routine for me instead of sleeping. I'm talking like I wasn't sleeping for like 48 hours at

Who the heck am I?

A question I'm still asking myself sometimes ngl. So I'm going to start this post off with a quote I received from a friend this morning: "What is most personal is most universal."  - C.R. Rogers Quote is super relevant because thats what I'm about to do.. get personal. So I think it's safe to say that if you guys are reading this you probably have an idea of who I am being that I linked this to all my social media accounts. But allow me to re-introduce myself without the likable insta posts and quotable twitter lines. I am Jasmine. Or as most of my friends call me Jaz. I was born at Health Park Medical Center in Fort Myers, Florida to teenage parents. My mom had me at seventeen and my parents had to become parents while they were young and not really ready. They struggled and for a long time we lived in a little trailer down A road in a little town called Labelle. Right before I turned two they blessed me with a sister who has been my rock through m