Skip to main content

Dear Momma

So this topic was one I've wanted to write about since I started this blog but haven't had the guts to write it out knowing I would exploit the live of someone without them knowing first. I feel like she won't mind if she actually read it and saw I was using her as an example for something positive that has help me grow spiritually and has consequently made me a better person. 

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
-Mahatma Gandhi



This post will be about my mother. For those of you who don't know who she is specifically, sorry I'm going to leave her name out of this because I don't feel as though that is important. So here's the basic summary of the life of my mother through the lens of her eldest daughter. My mom got pregnant at the age of sixteen and had me at the age of seventeen while she was still in high school. Though I was too young to remember how her life was when she was a young mother exactly, through words of my grandparents (her parents that raised me) and my dad I've been able to piece together the kind of person she was before and after having me. Before having me my mother was an athlete, very smart and a likable young lady. Though I can't say I know much about how she was before she had me, her teachers from high school and middle school were some of mine and would tell me stories of the kind of girl she was when they had her. After having me my grandparents and dad recall her going through what we would refer to now as a "party phase." And two years after having me she had my sister, Ariel who became part of our dysfunctional little family living in a little trailer down A road in the middle of a no where town called Labelle. My parents had both me and Ariel before getting married and then divorcing from irreconcilable differences. Shortly after divorcing they both found new partners and remarried. Mom married a guy that from what I remembered treated her very poorly but gave my sister and I two beautiful step siblings (I'll probably do a post talking about these two later). After those two got a divorce my mom jumped around from dude to dude and at the time I didn't know but later my mom told me she was under the influence of drugs when all of the moving around was happening. So as she was trying to figure out her life out with new men and illegal substances, My young siblings were dragged along with her while my sister and I got put on my grandparents. My mom was in and out of our lives for the most part, which is really what gets to me the most. We got to stay with her some weekends and got to see her life from a distant perspective but i always needed my mom and it seemed like she was never really there. Though I was too young to remember what was going on at the time, I remember witnessing a lot of things a person at that age should not have witnessed spending time with my mother. And it wasn't until later that I was able to piece together exactly what I saw as a young girl. I remember seeing my mom get hit by her boyfriend, do drugs, make drugs, throw parties, have expensive things, buy fancy houses, and start a business that would later turn her world upside down. When I was in the eighth going into the ninth grade I remember my mom moving around a lot with her boyfriend and by the end of my ninth grade year she go arrested on felony charges of human trafficking that started from a business under my moms name. So all through my high school, the time I needed my mom the most, she was involved in some heavy ass shit and caused me a lot of despair. Along with that the people who did know who my mom was made sure to point out that she was by my mother to others. So along with the abandonment issues I had from my mother before all this went down, I dealt with the stress of not having a mother even if I wanted to and the embarrassment of having a mother who got caught up in such a big arrest. Thankfully, she had an amazing lawyer who was able to get her out of prison before I graduated. But after her release my relationship with my mother diminished due to family chaos that led me to tell my mother how I really felt about her. To this day I don't ever think my mom truly understood what I was trying to tell her and that's probably the biggest reason we fell out. Even though we still don't ever really talk now, I don't regret any words I said to her then as they still run deep and in short this is what I wanted her to hear:

Although my mom didn't really have to raise my sister and I and left most of the work for my grandparents who did a fine job, she will never really know what she put us through. I don't need my mom now as I've learned to live independently and have become extremely self reliant when it comes to my emotions. I know she can't change the way she chose to live her life after dropping us on my grandparents, but I can only hope that she raises my little brother and sister better than she ever could of raised me and Ariel. I hope that she became aware of the mistakes she has made as a mother with her eldest daughter and is fixing them to become a good mother for my siblings living without their father. I hope she's doing much better now and is making choices she'd be proud of. But most importantly I want my mother to know that I forgive her. I forgive her for the mistakes she made. I know your only human momma and though I may never say it to your face.. I forgive you. 

Forgiveness is powerful. It gives us the ability to acknowledge the issues we have with someone or even ourselves that are far deeper than hurt and is the first step in releasing negativity from our lives. A lot of people hold on to hurt. They hold on to pain and blame their issues on somebody who makes mistakes just like themselves. But I'm telling you now, let it go. Forgive the people who hurt you and release the pain that traps you. Once you forgive, you allow yourself more room to move on and be happy about the things and people in your life instead of getting caught up in the hurt of the past. I've learned that forgiveness frees you and allows you to grow to your highest potential. And though you may never forget the hurt you felt at one time, forgiveness allows you to move forward stronger. In a few bullet points this is what I want you guys to take from reading this post:
  • Hurt is inevitable. We only choose how long we want it to last by changing our mindset
  • We are all human and we all make mistakes
  • Forgiveness is an important part of releasing negative energy and moving to your higher self
Be a better you guys. Be a forgiving you. Though you don't have to externally forgive, internally release the hate in your heart to allow love and positivity flow in. Forgive because your soul deserves peace.

Peace and love,
Jaz

p.s. I just started classes again so I'll be posting as often as I can but will definitely have less free time than before to post as much as I did at the beginning. Please keep reading my posts and sharing though. 


Comments

  1. making the most out of our situations is something everyone fails to do, but you boldly took on that challenge and deserve all the fruits of your labor. out of heartache came success, and that's what is an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to know people feel inspired after reading. I hope you challenge yourself to bring yourself success and happiness. :)

      Delete
  2. Dear daughter
    I love you. I'm gonna leave it at that. I'm sorry you have such a disdorted vision of who I am. Maybe we should sit down one day & talk. I am proud of the woman my bad decisions have made me as well. If we are looking at the positive in all this we both suffered because of my decisions yet those same decisions have turned us into amazing women. Only after I felt the consequences of my a tions did I wake up. You may not know why I did what I did & at this point it doesn't matter. I've overcome all obstacles which is what real life is all about. I love you jazz
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real life is not about the obstacles, but what you take out of them and how you move forward.. Its good to reflect on the things that have made you the person you are today regardless of if those experiences were good or bad. This post was not about suffering, but about the positive growth opportunity that presented itself with hurt. It's about detachment from negative thoughts and pasts. It's about peace and enlightenment found through forgiveness. xoxo Jaz

      Delete
  3. I am curious did you find it in your heart to forgive your Mother, if not why? Have you ever asked to sit down with your mom one on one to discuss why and what may have perpetuated her behavior, which ultimately caused you so much pain. She may have been going through her own pain; try to find out. Be an open book, it is the way to truly be liberated from your pain, reigniting the mother and daughter Love, that should never be abandoned. Praying you can find the Love in your heart, to conquer the demon (pain). I am quiet sure your mother has a Love for you which has never ceased.
    May you find all the Love, and Peace in your life which you so richly deserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo! I have found it in my heart to forgive my mother. I know that as humans we all make decisions that inevitably have consequences that are sometimes out of our control. I have not had the time to sit down and discuss this with my mother, however I look forward to doing that one day when the time is right. I am always open to listening and understanding another human's perspective on situations that I may not have the full story on. I don't look at pain as a demon but rather a learning opportunity that presents itself through pain. Thank you for your comment. Peace and Love.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who the heck am I?

A question I'm still asking myself sometimes ngl. So I'm going to start this post off with a quote I received from a friend this morning: "What is most personal is most universal."  - C.R. Rogers Quote is super relevant because thats what I'm about to do.. get personal. So I think it's safe to say that if you guys are reading this you probably have an idea of who I am being that I linked this to all my social media accounts. But allow me to re-introduce myself without the likable insta posts and quotable twitter lines. I am Jasmine. Or as most of my friends call me Jaz. I was born at Health Park Medical Center in Fort Myers, Florida to teenage parents. My mom had me at seventeen and my parents had to become parents while they were young and not really ready. They struggled and for a long time we lived in a little trailer down A road in a little town called Labelle. Right before I turned two they blessed me with a sister who has been my rock through m

Depression and Drugs

"Once you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." -Willie Nelson Have you ever felt like your life was on repeat? The same boring shit keeps happening and it just feels like you aren't really progressing? Well if you've ever stopped for even a second and thought about this, thats the first step in fixing the problem.. Acknowledging you have a one. Now I'm about to get real dark for a minute and tell you about my depression and what I did when I realized I had a problem. So back when I first started attending UF is when I noticed something was not right. I was so focused on getting everything I needed to get done for school that I didn't take a moment to think about how I was actually feeling about my life. I started noticing something was wrong with myself when crying every night would become a routine for me instead of sleeping. I'm talking like I wasn't sleeping for like 48 hours at