Skip to main content

Lose Your Mind, Find Your Soul


Quiet the mind and the soul will speak.
-Buddha

Picture captured while soul
searching in nature with Kaileb
[Photocred: @atlienpoet]
I've been putting a lot of thought in the person I am and the person I want to be. Ya know.. soul searching. And what I've come to find is that more than anything, no matter where I'm going, or where i've been I want to be happy. Genuinely happy not that fake happiness I have to tell someone about when I'm going having a hard time. What i've realized though is that being a good person and doing kind, genuine things for others really brings me that sense of satisfaction that I've long been craving. Supporting people is something that I've done for a minute now but have come to find that it is an important part of who i am. It's what makes me feel good.

I don't really know what soul searching means exactly but from what I've read on it its basically when someone takes deep consideration into their emotions and their intentions. So I guess you could say I've been doing that. I think I talk about this in a previous post but before I started this whole mindful/positivity movement I was one of those people who never thought twice about the things I said or did to others because in all honesty... i didn't really care. Obviously, I've realized that was not the way to live and it didn't really benefit me any to have other people thinking I didn't care about anything. So I changed that. I started caring more and putting deep consideration into the things I would talk about with others and really reflecting on the vibes I was sending out. What I found is that my life was really missing a lot of things. Things like stability, inspiration, comfort, and connection. Things that could come from putting more effort into understanding and relating to others instead of "not caring." When I began really conversing with people on a deeper level and started asking and telling people about the stuff that is important to me or to them, I started to fill that void of "soul." Thats not to say that I've found what it is I'm truly made of or that I have all the answers, but I did find something that gave me some satisfaction and brought me closer to who I'm meant to be. I may not have figured out the whole thing but I've definitely been given some deeper meaning just by letting people in and helping others in any way I can.

Finding your soul doesn't mean you will have all the answers nor does it mean your life will completely change when you find it, but soul searching is good opportunity for you to reflect on yourself. It is a chance for you to really think about the things that make you who you are and to find a deeper meaning to living. That could mean isolating yourself from the world a little to find yourself or that could mean opening up to others completely to find that fulfillment. Regardless of how you do it, make sure it is what feels right for YOU. Soul searching isn't about doing what society tells you is "right," but reflecting in on your own thoughts, feelings and actions to feel right. It's self-care. 

I typed in "Soul Searching," on pinterest and this self-care list popped up and I think it's a fairly good summary of what you should be doing so here it is:

  • If it feels wrong don't do it
  • Say exactly what you mean
  • Don't be a people pleaser
  • Trust your instincts
  • Never speak bad about yourself
  • Never give up on your dreams
  • Don't be afraid to say no
  • Don't be afraid to say yes
  • Be kind to yourself
  • Let go of what you can't control
  • Stay away from drama and negativity
  • LOVE
I feel like these are all things I could just keep repeating to you guys over and over and over again, but until you guys take the initiative to start moving your life in a positive direction and begin actually taking the steps necessary to be a better you... all of it is useless. I'm gonna continue blogging on topics focusing on different aspects of a positive life but it's all going to come down to you making the moves and taking the advice I give you. Can't promise you that everything is going to be easy, because it won't be. But thats exactly why I'm sharing pieces of my story to help you guys understand I went through the bs too. It was extremely difficult for me to acknowledge that I was living my life all wrong when I had this hateful, negative mindset and to flip the script to be all around more positive but shiiiittt it was worth it. I may not live the most perfect life, but maaaaan am I happy. Find what makes your soul happy. Bless up!

Peace and Love,
Jaz 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Momma

So this topic was one I've wanted to write about since I started this blog but haven't had the guts to write it out knowing I would exploit the live of someone without them knowing first. I feel like she won't mind if she actually read it and saw I was using her as an example for something positive that has help me grow spiritually and has consequently made me a better person.  "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Mahatma Gandhi This post will be about my mother. For those of you who don't know who she is specifically, sorry I'm going to leave her name out of this because I don't feel as though that is important. So here's the basic summary of the life of my mother through the lens of her eldest daughter. My mom got pregnant at the age of sixteen and had me at the age of seventeen while she was still in high school. Though I was too young to remember how her life was when she was a young mother

Who the heck am I?

A question I'm still asking myself sometimes ngl. So I'm going to start this post off with a quote I received from a friend this morning: "What is most personal is most universal."  - C.R. Rogers Quote is super relevant because thats what I'm about to do.. get personal. So I think it's safe to say that if you guys are reading this you probably have an idea of who I am being that I linked this to all my social media accounts. But allow me to re-introduce myself without the likable insta posts and quotable twitter lines. I am Jasmine. Or as most of my friends call me Jaz. I was born at Health Park Medical Center in Fort Myers, Florida to teenage parents. My mom had me at seventeen and my parents had to become parents while they were young and not really ready. They struggled and for a long time we lived in a little trailer down A road in a little town called Labelle. Right before I turned two they blessed me with a sister who has been my rock through m

Depression and Drugs

"Once you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." -Willie Nelson Have you ever felt like your life was on repeat? The same boring shit keeps happening and it just feels like you aren't really progressing? Well if you've ever stopped for even a second and thought about this, thats the first step in fixing the problem.. Acknowledging you have a one. Now I'm about to get real dark for a minute and tell you about my depression and what I did when I realized I had a problem. So back when I first started attending UF is when I noticed something was not right. I was so focused on getting everything I needed to get done for school that I didn't take a moment to think about how I was actually feeling about my life. I started noticing something was wrong with myself when crying every night would become a routine for me instead of sleeping. I'm talking like I wasn't sleeping for like 48 hours at