Skip to main content

It's a Gift!




Present is a word everyone takes for granted. While everything in the world seems to be moving at a  fast pace with all the evolving technology and places quickly changing, we need to make it a point to stop, breathe and live IN THE PRESENT.    

"Accept --- Then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it... this will miraculously transform your whole life."
-Eckhart Tolle


So this is something I've discussed with several different people and it all kind of starts the same. Someone is complaining about this or that saying that something their plan didn't go the way they wanted or they say "I don't know what to do," because of plans changing. Well let me tell you something... The more expectations you have about ANYTHING the more disappointment you will have. No matter how much we sit and plan things out the way we want them to happen, situations will never fall through the way you expected them to. So my advice to you is just to take things as they come and roll with it. Live now. With whatever is going on in the present. Take it, accept it, live it and be happy. In case you don't know how to do that yet I'm going to break it down for you in steps.

1. Make plans, but don't have expectations
Plan things! Schedule meet ups with friends, days at the beach, time to work on school stuff, etc. But don't get caught up on trying to figure everything out before you're living it. Make plans, but let them pan out the way the universe wants them to. Thinking too hard about a situation can lead to having negative thoughts or actions that follow. This is no good. Instead, plan things out, but remind yourself that everything is going to work itself out for the better. 

2.  Roll with it
Accept whatever is there in the present moment. Like Eckhart Tolle said, "work with it, not against it..." Accept whatever the universe may throw your way and act like this is how you thought stuff would go. Take the punches and accept the things that are out of your control. Adapt. 

3. Breathe.
Take a moment, wherever you are, and just breathe. Stop, look around you and just breathe. Sounds ridiculously easy, but just stopping to actually breathe makes you more present. And when you're able to stop and take it all in you'll realize life isn't so bad. Take a moment and just breathe in the present. 

Another optional step PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN. This is obvi pretty hard for us millennials but when you put down your technology for a bit, you'll become more aware of the present moment. Don't get me wrong I'm on snapchat ANYTIME I'm anywhere cool, but I make it a point to put down my phone for at least an hour anytime I'm with someone or doing something. I'm learning to make this a habit so that I will be more present and aware. Awareness is key. Once you learn to appreciate and take in the present moment you will become more aware, not only of the situation you're in but of yourself and how you react to things. Living in the present will teach you to enjoy and appreciate your environment and your present and this overall will benefit your personal growth. 

Living in the present sounds simple, but I know it can be hard. But once you learn to stop focusing on past or future and live in the now you'll live a much happier life. So do it! Do things you love, roll with the punches and breathe in the spectacular now. Life is good. 

This will be on my list of books that are relevant to my blog but The Power Now by Eckhart Tolle is a really good read about living in the present and I recommend all you guys to check it out or even listen to the free audiobook on youtube. 

Peace and Love,
Jaz

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Momma

So this topic was one I've wanted to write about since I started this blog but haven't had the guts to write it out knowing I would exploit the live of someone without them knowing first. I feel like she won't mind if she actually read it and saw I was using her as an example for something positive that has help me grow spiritually and has consequently made me a better person.  "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Mahatma Gandhi This post will be about my mother. For those of you who don't know who she is specifically, sorry I'm going to leave her name out of this because I don't feel as though that is important. So here's the basic summary of the life of my mother through the lens of her eldest daughter. My mom got pregnant at the age of sixteen and had me at the age of seventeen while she was still in high school. Though I was too young to remember how her life was when she was a young mother

Who the heck am I?

A question I'm still asking myself sometimes ngl. So I'm going to start this post off with a quote I received from a friend this morning: "What is most personal is most universal."  - C.R. Rogers Quote is super relevant because thats what I'm about to do.. get personal. So I think it's safe to say that if you guys are reading this you probably have an idea of who I am being that I linked this to all my social media accounts. But allow me to re-introduce myself without the likable insta posts and quotable twitter lines. I am Jasmine. Or as most of my friends call me Jaz. I was born at Health Park Medical Center in Fort Myers, Florida to teenage parents. My mom had me at seventeen and my parents had to become parents while they were young and not really ready. They struggled and for a long time we lived in a little trailer down A road in a little town called Labelle. Right before I turned two they blessed me with a sister who has been my rock through m

Depression and Drugs

"Once you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." -Willie Nelson Have you ever felt like your life was on repeat? The same boring shit keeps happening and it just feels like you aren't really progressing? Well if you've ever stopped for even a second and thought about this, thats the first step in fixing the problem.. Acknowledging you have a one. Now I'm about to get real dark for a minute and tell you about my depression and what I did when I realized I had a problem. So back when I first started attending UF is when I noticed something was not right. I was so focused on getting everything I needed to get done for school that I didn't take a moment to think about how I was actually feeling about my life. I started noticing something was wrong with myself when crying every night would become a routine for me instead of sleeping. I'm talking like I wasn't sleeping for like 48 hours at