Skip to main content

A World That Is Entirely Your Own


"Dreams are illustrations from the book your soul is writing about you."
-Marsha Norman



There are two definitions of the word dream. One is dream as a noun, that is ideas or stories that happen while you are unconscious. The other definition is dream as a verb which means to contemplate. The big thing to note about dreaming is that dreams are formed from your subconscious mind meaning you dont't always have control over what is happening or why you have them. But I'm going to tell you why you should dream.

A few years ago I had this reoccurring dream about getting pregnant, having a baby and the baby evolving into a panda. Uh what?! The fact that I had this strange dream multiple times really had me thinking "what the heck?" So I had to read into what dreams mean to get to the bottom of this strange one. I did a little research into dream theory and found that dreams aren't necessarily in direct correlation with what is going on in your life but rather a metaphor of something deeper than you think. For example, having a baby in a dream could be a symbol of some part of you that feels neglected or needs to be nurtured. And pandas are a representation of something soft and gentle sometimes even good luck. I'm not saying this is exactly what my dream meant but it gave me an idea of things that I needed to start focusing on in my conscious life. The more research I did into dreaming the more curious I got about them, which eventually led me to lucid dreaming.

For those of you who don't know what lucid dreaming is it's basically when you are aware that you are dreaming. Usually it's because you are awake or in control of the dream as it is happening. I looked into this and wondered why anyone would ever want to do this because that sounds pretty trippy and a little scary. But what I found was that people would use this as a storyboard. Basically using lucid dreaming as a way to play out scenarios in their head. Because dreams are part of your subconscious mind, they allow you to connect with things about yourself that you didn't know consciously. Subconsciously, your mind has picked up on things your entire life and they get stored in this part of your brain that you don't have access to but they are controlling your behavior and actions. This could be things like morals, biases, or just general ideas you have about things that you are not aware of. People would lucid dream to tap into those deep beliefs. I did it. I listened to a guided meditation video and tried it out to get into my own head and it really did open my mind to some things about my self that I needed to reflect on.

"Dreaming after all is a form of planning."
-Gloria Steinem

Aside from the physical dreaming, I'd like to touch on dreaming as everyone describes it. "Dream Big." This type of dream is the verb version of the word. This dream is when you think or contemplate on ideas consciously. This type of dream is NECESSARY. You need to think about things you want even if they seem don't seem realistic or possible at the moment. The universe has a way of steering you in the direction of your dreams if you continue to have them. So I encourage you all to continue dreaming, regardless of if these seem beyond reach now.

That being said, what I really wanted to say with all of this is that dreaming is good. However you do it. Regardless of if its a dream you have at night or a dream you have about the way you want your life to go, KEEP DREAMING. Dreams are a way for you to stay in touch with your true self and having dreams allows you to tap into your subconscious. These are things that are completely unique to you and are part of your own world. In terms of having a physical dream, dreaming is an important part of mental, emotional and physical well-being. In terms of dreams as contemplation on your desires, dreaming keeps your mind hungry and can serve as motivation to keep moving towards goals. Dream big, dream often and know that anything your mind can imagine is possible.


Peace and love,
Jaz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Momma

So this topic was one I've wanted to write about since I started this blog but haven't had the guts to write it out knowing I would exploit the live of someone without them knowing first. I feel like she won't mind if she actually read it and saw I was using her as an example for something positive that has help me grow spiritually and has consequently made me a better person.  "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." -Mahatma Gandhi This post will be about my mother. For those of you who don't know who she is specifically, sorry I'm going to leave her name out of this because I don't feel as though that is important. So here's the basic summary of the life of my mother through the lens of her eldest daughter. My mom got pregnant at the age of sixteen and had me at the age of seventeen while she was still in high school. Though I was too young to remember how her life was when she was a young mother

Who the heck am I?

A question I'm still asking myself sometimes ngl. So I'm going to start this post off with a quote I received from a friend this morning: "What is most personal is most universal."  - C.R. Rogers Quote is super relevant because thats what I'm about to do.. get personal. So I think it's safe to say that if you guys are reading this you probably have an idea of who I am being that I linked this to all my social media accounts. But allow me to re-introduce myself without the likable insta posts and quotable twitter lines. I am Jasmine. Or as most of my friends call me Jaz. I was born at Health Park Medical Center in Fort Myers, Florida to teenage parents. My mom had me at seventeen and my parents had to become parents while they were young and not really ready. They struggled and for a long time we lived in a little trailer down A road in a little town called Labelle. Right before I turned two they blessed me with a sister who has been my rock through m

Depression and Drugs

"Once you replace your negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results." -Willie Nelson Have you ever felt like your life was on repeat? The same boring shit keeps happening and it just feels like you aren't really progressing? Well if you've ever stopped for even a second and thought about this, thats the first step in fixing the problem.. Acknowledging you have a one. Now I'm about to get real dark for a minute and tell you about my depression and what I did when I realized I had a problem. So back when I first started attending UF is when I noticed something was not right. I was so focused on getting everything I needed to get done for school that I didn't take a moment to think about how I was actually feeling about my life. I started noticing something was wrong with myself when crying every night would become a routine for me instead of sleeping. I'm talking like I wasn't sleeping for like 48 hours at